Sunday, September 21, 2008

Reading Respo



When I view globalization from Gurskys and Sekulas point of view I feel that both perspectives are right and relevant. Gurskys work gave me an overwhelming impression that our society is at the peak of globalization. His images show some of the products of globalization. I find these images extremely disturbing but I realize the importance of this work. In paragraph three it says that Gursky turned to digital manipulation because he felt that "photography is no longer credible" and that a "fictitious construction" is now required to "provide an accurate image of the modern. I definitely agree with Gurskys on that particular point I feel our society is such an overstimulated simulation, that digital manipulation would be the only way for true representation. Gurskys work is overwhelming with his images of reality that have patterns that are so repetitious it would probably make me dizzy to view some of his work in real life. Sekulas perspective isolates some of the damage globalization has caused in the United States. I realize globalization is making the poor poorer and the rich richer because of the transfer of jobs, for cheaper labor for the huge corporations. Sekula's work showed me some of that transformation his perspective is very sobering in light of today's economy. In paragraph twenty five it says that the dialectic between fragmentation and homogenisation is smoothed by the flow of capital. The collapse of the gold standard has dematerialised money, breaking any formal or tangible link to precious metals or any other tangible commodity. For the first time human society has come to rely on immaterial forms of money-value is determined by which currency you hold and when. This point would suggest that most people sense of wealth is based off a made up construction athat I find to be very unstable.

No comments: