Tuesday, September 23, 2008

sekula & gursky

As ignorant as this may sound, I am not too familiar with the term globalization. Sure I hear it used occasionally with the people that claim to be socially aware of the problems that is occurring in our ever loving world, but never have I cared to look into it; so reading this article was quite difficult for me.
What interested me the most was the description of both Sekula's work and Gursky's. "Gursky's work brings life a globalised world which is in the process of becoming- an eerie well lit world of travel, markets, hotel lobbies, airports, ports and crowds... outside the spotlight of the globalised world is a darkened reality of relocation, labour, layoffs, dirt, sweat and plution. It is this world which is the primary interest of Allan Sekula."
Because I have seen Allana Sekula's work, I think this comment about him is very fitting. A specific part during one of his films that I remember is when  they show the men  getting eel out of a barrel to kill and clean. Seeing the eel having its head cut off while the rest of the body was still moving around. Watching the man slice it open with no trouble, quickly  removing the insides as if was no big of a deal. The fish, even the people were part of the big scheme of things. This whole market of reproduction and exploitation for money, thats what it comes down to.



No comments: